"sub 2268 hiking" ~ John Abela

ZPacks Zip Pouches, Two Year Usage Review

ZPacks Zip Pouch

ZPacks Zip Pouch

I think it was in early 2013 that ZPacks introduced a set of neat little zippered pouches designed to hold things, such as glasses, passports, wallet content, and so forth. I ordered a few and over the last two years have used most of them at one time or another – and have used one of them every day as my primary wallet.

I did not expect for it to become my daily wallet, but over time it just proved to be the perfect size and meet the requirements I obviously wanted, but did not know I wanted, in an enclosed wallet – my first enclosed wallet in my life.

Earlier this year I upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus and it does not fit into the ZPacks Pouch I have been using – my iPhone 5 did fit – and now, thankfully, ZPacks has released a new zippered pouch called the ‘ZPacks, Phablet Zip Pouch‘ which is suppose to fit an iPhone6+, so I just bought one of those. I just hope that it is big enough as I have a Mophie iPhone 6 Plus Juice Pack attached to my iPhone6+

Ok… seriously, how much can be said about a zippered pouch? Some I suppose could say a lot, but I am not one of them, so, moving on, here are some photos of the pouch I have used for around 800 days, to show how amazingly well it has held up, both out on the trail and at home / around town.

Front of the ZPacks Zip Pouch. Some obvious wrinkles and wear, but no tears!

Front of the ZPacks Zip Pouch. Some obvious wrinkles and wear, but no tears!

Back side of the ZPacks Zip Pouch.

Back side of the ZPacks Zip Pouch. Gotten a bit dirty I suppose, never have washed/cleaned it (shrugs)

Bottom of the ZPacks Zip Pouch.

Bottom of the ZPacks Zip Pouch.

Inside of the ZPacks Zip Pouch.

Inside of the ZPacks Zip Pouch. No damage from shoving cards and other stuff into it on an almost daily basis.

Inside of the ZPacks Zip Pouch, showing the tape bonded seam.

Inside of the ZPacks Zip Pouch, showing the tape bonded seam has held up perfectly.

The typical around-town contents of my ZPacks Zip Pouch. While out on the trail, small cash denominations, less plastic cards and more trail name/info cards and medical info.

The typical around-town contents of my ZPacks Zip Pouch. While out on the trail… small cash denominations, less plastic cards, more trail name/info cards and medical info.

Want one for  yourself? Head over to the ZPacks Zip Pouch website page!

In accordance of USA Federal Trade Commission 16 CFR, Part 255: I hereby declare that at the time this article is published that I am a sponsored hiker of Black Rock Gear, Montbell US, Suluk46, Sun Precautions, Suntactics.

June 11, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Posted in Gear Reviews

Tagged with ,

1. I found pockets leaked via waterproof zip seams – Joe concurred with this. He redesigned for me using a fold-over close with small buckle – this has proven to work well and totally waterproof. Albeit a bit of a hassle to do up with one hand. I note this option is not public?

Rob McKay

June 11, 2015 at 9:24 pm

• Hey Rob. Thanks for stopping by. Cool idea. Not something I have ever seen listed on their website. Suppose I have grown accustomed to using ziplock bags for anything I really want to keep dry, but a mini-dry bag such as what you seem to be talking about could be pretty dang neat!

June 11, 2015 at 9:26 pm

• John – moving house and city – I’ll post photos of my pouches when I unpack

Rob McKay

June 12, 2015 at 4:37 pm

2. I got two of the little wallets before going to Japan. I use one as my every day wallet. I want one of the new ones for my phone from now on to keep in the pouch on my ArcBlast straps. The wallet is now one of my never leave home without it now.

Dara

June 12, 2015 at 6:10 am

3. I forgot to mention that I would make the wallet just a bit taller to accommodate money bills folder in half. I am sure Joe and Matt could make those though.

Dara

June 12, 2015 at 8:43 am

4. John checkout those pockets here

Sent from Rob McKay’s iPhone

Rob McKay

June 12, 2015 at 4:49 pm

• Hey Rob.

Not the same kind of zpacks pockets talked about within this article, but yeah, those hip belt pockets of zpacks have made a number of changes over the last few years, huh. Not really sure which of them I have liked and not liked the most.

I still have the first generation and have held onto them. I had the fold-over-top style and did not really care for them.

June 18, 2015 at 4:09 pm

5. Good review. I am surprised how well the Cuben Fiber holds up. I was led to believe that Cuben is rather fragile. If you can use one of these bags for a daily wallet, then it could be assumed that a tent that gets much less use should hold up for some time.

Mark Valadez

August 23, 2015 at 12:24 am

6. I’ve been using these as wallets for a while. They are extremely light and durable. I carry one every day now.

Matthew king