HikeLighter.Com is all about sub 2267g hiking!

Suluk46 Titanium Trowel

Suluk46 Titanium Trowel

Suluk46 Titanium Trowel

Greetings Hikers,

Does the hiking world need another trowel – or even a bigger question is: does it need another titanium trowel?

Not anymore!

I recently ordered up the Suluk46 Titanium Trowel to replace my previous Ti towel, from another company, that I gave away to an inbound hiker that I knew when I was out-bound on the same trail.

On my calibrated scale it is 14.7 grams and it is a pure work of art.

For a piece of titanium it is extremely strong – as strong as those heavy plastic ones most of us probably started using when we first got into hiking.

I always felt like my other trowels where a novelty item – they worked but they just never felt like they had what it took to make it into my backpack for the long haul.

I am extremely happy with this Suluk46 Titanium Trowel and it will hopefully be the last one I have to buy – and this one I have no intentions of ever giving away.

Anyway, there is not a whole lot to say about a trowel, so just going to leave it at that and here is a video of it in use:

About these ads

Written by John B. Abela

January 29, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Posted in Gear Reviews

Tagged with , , ,

1. That sure looks like the last Trowel I’d ever need! Quite a find, though I am a little disappointed you aren’t planning on just giving it to me… ;)

Joslyn

January 29, 2013 at 5:40 pm

2. Great to meet you and talk with you at the GGG John. Thank you for showing me the Six Moon Design tent. Really like it and think it will be my choice if/when I convert to a tent…

Linda

January 29, 2013 at 10:34 pm

3. Nice tool and at that weight, I think a pack piece worth it’s “weight”, if you can call that “weight”! My only comment is, for all I have read, that’s a bit, a lot of bit, deep for a cat hole isn’t it?! Thanks for the review…like I said, for it’s weight and size, a worthy tool to tuck away!!

Keith Rayeski

January 30, 2013 at 1:41 pm

4. Leave it to Steve to create something like this.

John when are you going to peel the coating off the handle, maybe shave a gram or two there? :-)

JERMM

January 31, 2013 at 8:49 am

• Going to leave it on to see how much abuse it can take before it starts to peal off. Once it starts to peal off, I will rip it all off :)

January 31, 2013 at 2:39 pm

5. Have you used the QiWiz Original titanium trowel? If so, how does the Suluk46 trowel compare to the QiWiz Original? The QiWiz is an inch shorter than the Suluk46 and weighs 3-4 grams less (~20% less). In your opinion, is the performance of the Suluk46 good enough to offset the weight penalty?

I’ve been looking at trowels lately, because I’m tired of using stakes and sticks. But I can’t decide between these two. Thanks for your help!

Jared

January 31, 2013 at 12:17 pm

• The QiWiz trowels is what I have been using for a number of years.

I never liked the smaller size ones he makes, so after the first one I only bought the larger size, which is 16 grams, so a weebit heavier than this one from suluk46, but inconsequential at ~2 grams difference.

I always had to put on a pair of gloves with the ones from qiwiz because of the sharper edges it has. Not the case with this one from suluk46. And, this one from suluk46 has significantly more structural support.

If you find that the smaller trowels work for you, got with the small one from qiwiz. If you tend to like a slightly larger towel, either of them will work, but in this case, the one from suluk46 seems to be a bit better for my likes.

January 31, 2013 at 2:47 pm

• Thanks for your help! I just ordered one. And congrats one being added to the Suluk46 Backcountry Team!

Jared

February 11, 2013 at 9:16 pm

• John –
        I applaud your unending quest for the very best and lightest gear. My trowels are now laser-cut (as of early 2013) rather than hand-cut, which means that the edges are now smoother than they used to be, though still thin (as are the edges of Suluk46 trowels), so there should be little difference in hand comfort in use. Some folks who like a more bulky handle have wrapped their trowel handle with their emergency cordage, a nice dual-use option. I’ve wondered if the holes in the Suluk46 trowels present any issues (like easy cleaning-off of soil after digging in damp ground, or result in any weakening of strength or durability)? Be well and keep up the great work!
        - Rob Kelly aka QiWiz

Rob Kelly

October 1, 2013 at 10:25 am

• And thank you Sir. It is folks like you that allow folks like me the ability to continue to push the edges. Without individuals within the manufacturing sector being open to having the rare guys like me asking you to push the boundaries, the hiking community would be even more stagnant than it already is, so really, thanks!

As for the drill holes… they have no apparent effect on weakening the structural integrity of the trowel.

October 1, 2013 at 10:28 am

6. You convinced me John. I just ordered one!

coolbreezesblog

February 4, 2013 at 11:00 pm

7. [...] The Suluk46 Titanium Trowel is unquestionably the toughest and lightest full size trowel that I have ever owned. (see my review) [...]

8. Wow – soft earth and no roots to dig in! How does it hold up in stony, root ridden ground? I’m continually surprised that we don’t break our plastic trowel.

Gary

February 15, 2013 at 7:55 am

• lol, I know… how awesome is that!!

Honestly though, I have spent a few minutes sitting here trying to remember the lasts time I had to fight with rocks and roots and such to dig a cat hole, and I just cannot remember the last time.

There is a whole lot of dirt out there on this planet… just like spending a bit while hiking at the end of the day to find a good spot to setup your sleeping system, so to is it worth a few minutes trying to find a good spot to dig.

Granted there are some areas (alpine trails, for example) where it can be hard to find a spot that is not rocky, but even then, a good eye for finding the right spots goes a long way to a lot of frustration.

February 15, 2013 at 11:41 am

• We’re in the Ozarks, unfortunately soft spots are not abundant. Typically all we find are a couple of inches of dirt over loose stones and lots of roots. Unless you camp in floodplain or a field, that’s how it is :(

Gary

February 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm

9. John,

I’ve also grown tired of using stakes (which never really worked) and just decided to purchase this from Suluk46 after reading your review a few days ago. I even mentioned it to a few friends on BPL and they spent some time on Mr. Evans’ site as well.

When I checked out, I dropped your name and blog in the comments section so you could get some credit where it’s due.

Is it weird I’m excited to try a trowel?

J Dos Antos